Cellulite – ugh! You knew you hated it, but here are a few things you may not have known:
- Usually affects women aged 24 to 54 in the United States
- Men can have cellulite, but it is not very common
- Size does not matter – you can be a size 2 or a size 20 and still have cellulite
- Typically found along the buttocks and thighs, but sometimes found on the front of thighs
- Characterized by varying degrees of dimpling (“cottage cheese”) along the skin’s surface.
- Does not go away with weight loss
- Caused by fibrous connective tissue bands that connect the upper layers of the skin to the deeper tissues, pulling inward to create the appearance of “ice-pick” dimples and puckers
- Not usually characterized by long, horizontal, ridge-like depressions
- You can finally treat your cellulite and get “smooth that lasts” with Cellfina™
Unfortunately, cellulite is rarely responsive to changes in diet and exercise, especially among women who are genetically predisposed to developing cellulite. Many people mistakenly believe that cellulite is caused by the accumulation of “lumpy” fat; however, fibrous connective tissue that runs between the superficial layer of skin and deeper tissue is the true origin of cellulite’s appearance.
Non-surgical methods of heating or stretching the fibrous bands can give short-term results, but over time the fibrous bands return to their normal tone, pulling the upper skin layer downward and causing dimples to re-appear. Previous surgical treatments have also been largely unsuccessful due to inconsistencies in older technologies. Only recently have new developments in technology allowed for truly amazing treatment of cellulite. At Pinsky Plastic Surgery our plastic surgeon, Mark Pinsky, MD, offers the newest technology – Cellfina™. The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) has given Cellfina™ a 2-year clearance for its results (the FDA’s longest cellulite treatment clearance) and is preparing to extend that clearance to 3 years. Additionally, physicians at Cellfina™ study-sites are seeing patients with no recurrence of cellulite after four years – and weight loss or weight gain makes no difference in the quality of results.
What is Cellfina™?
FDA-cleared Cellfina™ is proven to reduce the appearance of cellulite along the surface of the skin by effectively treating the structural cause of this common skin distortion. Cellfina™ is non-surgical and targets the fibrous bands of connective tissue that cause dimpling of the skin. By releasing the tension of these bands, the skin is able to lay more evenly, creating a smoother look.
Benefits of Cellfina™
Cellfina™ is a unique treatment that can effectively combat the appearance of cellulite. This revolutionary therapy offers several attractive benefits:
- Cellfina™ is non-surgical, minimally-invasive, and FDA-approved.
- Treatment sessions generally last 90 minutes, though multiple treatment areas may take longer.
- Minimal recovery time is required after treatment. In general, patients return to their regular activities after 24 hours of rest.
- *Results typically occur quickly (within a few days) and can last for years.
- *Cellfina™ has one of the highest patient satisfaction rates – 96%!
*Individual Results May Vary
If you are interested in finding out if Cellfina™ is right for you, we encourage you to contact our practice to schedule a consultation with Dr. Pinsky or a Physician Assistant.
The Cellfina™ Procedure
At a consultation we will examine the areas you wish to target to ensure you have cellulite (as opposed to skin laxity). We will mark the precise location of dimples and indentations targeted for treatment areas. We will take pictures and review the treatment plan with you. Should you wish to proceed, we will schedule a treatment date and provide you with more detailed information about post-treatment care.
The day of your procedure, we will mark and photograph the dimples and indentations, comparing them to the photos from your consultation. You will then lie down, put in your earbuds and listen to your favorite music (selfies are encouraged!). We apply a local anesthetic to desensitize the treatment. We then place the Cellfina™ device over the first target area, apply mild suction, and use a slender needle to release the fibrous bands beneath the skin that cause the appearance of cellulite.
Once all of the areas of dimpling have been treated, the skin will quickly resettle, smoothing itself out within a period of a few days after treatment. You may experience some bruising after treatment, which dissipates on its own. We recommended that you relax for about 24 hours before returning to your usual routine. Typically, patients report only mild discomfort.
Results of Cellfina™ Treatment
You should start seeing results within a few days of your treatment. Compared with other cellulite reduction treatments, Cellfina™ has emerged as having the highest rates of overall patient satisfaction – 96%!
Contact Pinsky Plastic Surgery
For more information about Cellfina™ cellulite solution, contact our office to schedule a consultation.